Benefits of BPA
Polycarbonate plastic and epoxy resins made with BPA are used to make and improve many products that we use each day.
- Polycarbonate Plastic
BPA is a key component in making polycarbonate plastic, used in a wide array of industrial, consumer and medical products. The qualities of polycarbonate plastic include:
- Strength: Polycarbonate plastic is both durable and shatter resistant.
- Transparency: Polycarbonate plastic has glass-like optical clarity, making it well-suited for use in optical lenses, safety goggles, the windows of vehicles and medical equipment.
- Light weight: The light weight of polycarbonate plastic helps to decrease vehicle weight and increase fuel efficiency in automobiles, airplanes and trains.
- Epoxy Resins
Epoxy resins made with BPA are used in a wide variety of commercial and industrial applications, such as adhesives and coatings.
- Food Storage: Used to make the protective coatings in metal cans for packaging food and beverages, epoxy resin coatings help prevent contamination and extend the shelf-life of foods.
- Electronics: Epoxy resin coatings are resistant to heat, chemicals and electricity, important characteristics in electronics applications.
- Adhesives: Epoxy resin coatings cling well to surfaces, making them well-suited to protecting pipes, fittings and other equipment from corrosion.